Alex Pereira and Israel Adesanya will run it back in April.
The UFC middleweight title will be on the line in the main event of UFC 287 on April 8 as the champion Pereira (7-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) faces off against former middleweight champ Adesanya (23-2 MMA, 12-2 UFC). UFC president Dana White officially announced the bout Friday.
The pay-per-view event is expected to take place in Miami, although the venue has yet to be officially announced.
Pereira defeated Adesanya by knockout in the fifth round in the main event of UFC 281 to become the middleweight champion. It was one of the best comebacks of the year, capping off an incredible 2022 that saw Pereira elevate from unranked fighter to champion over the course of three fights. MMA Junkie’s 2022 Male Fighter of the Year is undefeated through four fights under the UFC banner.
Adesanya suffered his first loss in the middleweight division against Pereira. The former champion racked up five defenses of the title before his streak came to an end against the man who defeated him twice in kickboxing. Now, in their fourth combat sports showdown, Adesanya will attempt to reclaim his title by defeating Pereira.
With the addition, the UFC 287 lineup includes:
- Alex Pereira vs. Israel Adesanya – for middleweight title
- Gilbert Burns vs. Jorge Masvidal
- Kevin Holland vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio
- Raul Rosas Jr. vs. Christian Rodrigues
- Rob Font vs. Adrian Yanez
- Gerald Meeerschaert vs. Joe Pyfer
- Kelvin Gastelum vs. Chris Curtis
- Cynthia Calvillo vs. Loopy Godinez
- Luana Pinheiro vs. Michelle Waterson-Gomez
- Ignacio Bahamondes vs. Nikolas Motta
- Steve Garcia vs. Shayilan Nuerdanbieke