Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Politics
Nick Lester

Trump says he has called off planned strikes on Iran at request of Gulf allies

The US president said he had been told the agreement would mean ‘no nuclear weapons for Iran’ (Jacquelyn Martin/AP) - (AP)

Donald Trump has said he will hold off on a planned attack against Iran at the request of Gulf allies, who believe a deal to end the war will be reached with “serious negotiations” being held.

The US president claimed renewed military strikes had been due to take place on Tuesday.

He said he had been told the agreement would be “very acceptable” to the US and would mean “no nuclear weapons for Iran”.

But he warned that he had instructed US forces to prepare for “a full, large-scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice” in case a deal was not struck.

Mr Trump made the announcement on his Truth Social platform.

He warned Iran over the weekend that “the clock is ticking” on making a deal and had better act quickly “or there won’t be anything left of them”.

Mr Trump has repeatedly given ultimatums to Tehran and then backed off.

It comes amid an ongoing stand-off between the US and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz waterway, which has tested the fragile Middle East ceasefire.

Iran’s stranglehold on the strategic sea route since the US and Israel triggered the conflict in February has affected economies around the world, including the UK’s.

The effective closure of the shipping lane to oil and gas supplies has sparked a global energy crisis and sent fuel prices soaring.

Writing on social media, the president said he had been asked by the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates “to hold off on our planned Military attack of the Islamic Republic of Iran, which was scheduled for tomorrow, in that serious negotiations are now taking place, and that, in their opinion, as Great Leaders and Allies, a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond”.

He added: “This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!

“Based on my respect for the above mentioned Leaders, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, The Chairman of The Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Daniel Caine, and The United States Military, that we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow, but have further instructed them to be prepared to go forward with a full, large-scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.