Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Irish Mirror
Irish Mirror
Sport
Kevin Taylor

YouTuber Jake Paul continues to target Conor McGregor boxing bout

YouTuber Jake Paul still reckons he can secure a fight against UFC superstar Conor McGregor.

Paul called out the Dublin fighter with a foul-mouthed social media tirade last December and claimed he could offer him $50 million for the bout

He also became embroiled in a war of words with McGregor's sparring partner and pro boxer Dylan Moran of late.

In April, former Bellator and ONE welterweight champion Ben Askren will take on Paul in the boxing ring - and the social media star also claims he is still targeting a money-spinning scrap with McGregor.

“We’ll see what happens after this fight,” Paul told MMA Junkie.

“Floyd Mayweather called me out last week. I still think there’s the McGregor fight. Nate Diaz said he’s down to fight me. We’ll see what happens. I’m excited.

"This is just the start of an illustrious career. Ben Askren just happens to be the first on the list. 

Jake Paul (Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

“I think Nate Diaz will probably happen first. I think Conor needs to get some wins under his belt.

"Conor is owned by Dana White. Conor is Dana White’s b**** so he has to get Dana White’s approval.

"Nate Diaz only has two more fights in the UFC, so if he can complete those and he’s freed up then Nate Diaz v Jake Paul will happen in 2022. Those are the sort of the talks that are happening right now."

McGregor is preparing to face Dustin Poirier in a trilogy scrap this summer following his defeat to the American in Abu Dhabi last month.

A fight with Paul - who recently knocked out former NBA basketball star Nate Robinson - is not on his radar for the time being.

“We’ll see what happens. … He seems like a confused little kid to me, to be honest,” McGregor told BT Sport when asked about the prospect of fighting Paul.

“I don’t know what’ll happen. It’s not on the radar at the minute with the young lad. I know, I have a teammate Dylan — him and Dylan have been back-and-forth, so you never know.”

But McGregor's dismissive words haven't deterred the brash YouTube personality.

Paul added: “Once I beat Nate Diaz, once I embarrass him actually, I will be undeniable to McGregor because I will say, ‘Hey, bubba. Listen to me, guy, you little Irish guy: I beat the guy who beat you. So you have to fight me'.

“That’s why this is so exciting. It’s one step at a time. It’s one fight at a time. I still have a major milestone ahead of me April 17, and like I said, though, this is the start of an illustrious career."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.