Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles Times
National
Mary Forgione

Yosemite National Park shuts down over coronavirus

LOS ANGELES _ Yosemite National Park shut down to all visitors Friday, according to a park release. The park closed at 3 p.m. local time "at the request of the local health department," the statement said.

There will be no access permitted into the park until further notice. The closure will be enforced 24/7.

The landmark Ahwahnee Hotel as well as other lodgings and restaurants closed Tuesday as a precaution over coronavirus concerns. The closure was said to last through March 31. The park earlier this week also closed campgrounds and canceled events and ranger-led activities.

Other national parks remain open to hikers and walkers.

Death Valley, for example, has kept trails open but closed campgrounds this week to ensure the health of its custodial staff. Also, the park closed visitor centers and stopped events and ranger activities.

Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Parks in the western Sierra have closed facilities too. "Following guidance from the CDC and recommendations from state and local public health authorities in consultation with (National Park Service) Public Health Service officers, park visitor centers, contact stations, lodges and restaurants are temporarily closed," the website says.

Three campgrounds and trails remain open.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.