Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chronicle Live
Chronicle Live
National
Kali Lindsay

Yorkshire Ripper inquest adjourned while prisons watchdog completes investigation

An inquest into the death of the Yorkshire Ripper who died of coronavirus has been adjourned for further reports.

Peter Sutcliffe, 74, had recently been diagnosed with Covid-19 and died at the University Hospital of North Durham on November 13 after reportedly refusing treatment.

The serial killer, who murdered at least 13 women across the north of England in the late 1970s, was a prisoner at HMP Frankland in Durham where he was transferred on August 24, 2016 aged 70.

Sutcliffe was identified by a police officer following his death and his ex-wife was named as his next of kin.

An inquest into the death of Sutcliffe, who was listed under his mother's maiden name of Coonan, was opened in November last year and heard the murderer had several underlying health conditions, was "almost blind" and used a wheelchair.

A post-mortem examination revealed he died from SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia, diabetes mellitus and ischemic heart disease.

During a hearing at Crook Civic Centre on Monday, assistant senior coroner for Durham and Darlington Crispin Oliver adjourned the inquest to allow for a report from the Prisons and Probation Ombudsman to be submitted.

A previous hearing was told that there were "no suspicious circumstances" or third party involvement in his death.

One of his victims, Marcella Claxton was just 20 when she lost her unborn child in the appalling attack.

She told the Mirror how his death has given her "closure" nearly four decades on.

She said: "I’m happy he’s gone. I’ve thought about what he did to me every day since and although the news that he's died brings those horrible memories back at least now I may be able to get some closure.

"I’m hoping it will bring me a little peace knowing he’s no longer with us.

"I have to live with my injuries, 54 stitches in my head, back and front, plus I lost a baby, I was four months pregnant. I still get headaches, dizzy spells and blackouts."

The inquest was adjourned until March 31.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.