TAMPA, Fla. _ This was the biggest concern the Yankees had coming into spring training.
Minutes before he was scheduled to make his first Grapefruit League start, Luis Severino was scratched with what the Yankees called "right shoulder discomfort."
The Yankees announced after the game that Severino was diagnosed with "rotator cuff inflammation" and will be shut down for at least two weeks.
On the YES broadcast, Aaron Boone said during the game that Severino felt something in the back of his shoulder after he threw a pitch. He had an MRI Tuesday afternoon.
Boone told reporters it was "highly unlikely" Severino will be ready at the start of the season.
Severino last pitched Thursday in a simulated two innings. He threw 39 pitches that day facing Giancarlo Stanton and Gary Sanchez along with two minor leaguers. Tuesday he was on the field warming up for his start, but then went back into the clubhouse. The game was delayed as Stephen Tarpley hurriedly warmed up for the emergency start.
Aside from CC Sabathia, who started spring behind because of knee and heart surgery this winter, Severino is the only starter who has not appeared in a spring training game.
Severino's injury is a reminder to the Yankees that they are not deep with their starting pitching. Already they will likely start the season without Sabathia. He has to serve a five-game suspension from last season. And the Bombers have limited depth in their minor league system.
The Yankees have Jonathan Loaisiga, Luis Cessa and Domingo German who could be spot starters for them. There are also a few viable starting pitchers still available on the free-agent market, including former Cy Young winner Dallas Keuchel and Gio Gonzalez.
Last month, the Yankees and Severino avoided arbitration by agreeing to a four-year extension. He agreed to a deal that pays him $4 million with a $2 million bonus this season _ just one million more than the number he asked for in arbitration. He gets $10 million in 2020, $10.25 in 2021 and $11 million in 2022. The club option is for $15 million with a $2.75 buyout.
The Yankees have bought out all four of Severino's arbitration years and have the option of his first year of free agency.
It was a very team-friendly deal, considering some estimates had Severino earning about $10 million more through four years of arbitration. For the 25-year-old, however, it was the security of guaranteed money against a bad season, the possibility of a work stoppage and injury. It also protects him against the inconsistency he showed last season.
In his first 18 starts, the righty pitched 1181/3 innings to a 1.98 ERA. He had a .195 batting average against, allowed just six home runs and averaged almost 10 strikeouts a game.
In an 11-start stretch at the end of the season, Severino pitched just 551/3 innings, going 4-5 with a 6.83 ERA with a surprising .323 batting average against. He allowed 13 homers in that span.