TAMPA, Fla. _ Aaron Judge is doing well, but he is still not hitting on the field. That means the Yankees slugger is not likely to make his Grapefruit League debut until the end of next week. Yankees manager Aaron Boone said Thursday he isn't sure if the outfielder will take the next step in the return from rehabbing a sore right shoulder.
"I know he hit the cage today ... I don't know his exact schedule through the weekend, but he's doing well," Boone said.
Still, Judge is now almost two weeks behind and the Yankees outfield could start the season with both Aaron Hicks (Tommy John rehab) and Giancarlo Stanton (strained right calf) down.
Boone, however, said earlier this week that he is not worried about Judge ramping up in time.
"I don't envision us having to squeeze into two, two-and-a-half weeks but if you had to do that and you built up ... back to backs and all that you could probably do that," Boone said. "I think, ideally, you know you're talking somewhere between 30 and 60 at-bats you typically like to have. I don't envision it. I feel like he'll have plenty of time based on what we're seeing day in and day out right now."
Thursday, Judge threw at 120 feet and continued his hitting work (soft toss) in the cages.