Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
World
Samuel Osborne

Wuhan eases coronavirus lockdown for first time in weeks as restrictions intensify outside China

The central Chinese city of Wuhan, where the coronavirus outbreak emerged late last year, has begun easing severe lockdown measures after it saw no new infections for the fifth day.

Authorities said people can enter the city if they are certified healthy and have no fever, while residents can apply to leave but have to be tested for Covid-19.

There has been no indication Wuhan residents can leave the city for non-essential reasons.

While downtown Wuhan remains the only high-risk area in Hubei province, other cities and counties have been classified as low-risk.

Wuhan was placed under lockdown on 23 January to contain the spread of the virus to the rest of China.

A total of 81,093 people had tested positive for coronavirus in mainland China as of Sunday, when the death toll rose to 3,270, up nine from the previous day.

Meanwhile, the capital, Beijing, increased measures to contain the number of new infections arriving from abroad.

Authorities stepped up measures to contain imported infections after all 39 new cases confirmed on Sunday involved travellers arriving from abroad – many of them Chinese students returning home.

Beijing diverted all international flights arriving from Monday to other cities, where passengers will be screened for the virus.

Foreigners who miss international connections as a result of the measure would have to leave China, an immigration official said at the health commission’s daily briefing, adding that foreign visitors should “think carefully” before choosing Beijing as a transit point.

It comes after Boris Johnson ordered all pubs, restaurants, gyms and other social venues across the country to close for the foreseeable future on Friday evening.

On Sunday, Germany banned gatherings of more than two people to combat the spread of Covid-19.

Meanwhile India’s prime minister, Narendra Modi, asked his nation of 1.3 billion people to stay at home – to mixed results.

In Australia, a ban on bars, gyms, cinemas, nightclubs, restaurants and other places where large people gather began on Monday.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.