Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
National
Jenny Foulds

Workers in Alexandria and Helensburgh hit by Thomas Cook collapse

Staff in Alexandria and Helensburgh are among thousands of workers who have lost their jobs following the collapse of Thomas Cook.

The travel giant ceased trading today after failing to secure a last-ditch rescue deal, leaving an estimated 150,000 Britons abroad awaiting repatriation.

All of the company’s stores have now closed, including premises on Main Street in Alexandria and East Princes Street in Helensburgh.

It’s reported a million customers will lose their future bookings, although with most package holidays and some flights-only trips being protected by the Atol scheme, customers who have not yet left, will be given a refund or replacement holiday. For those on holiday, the scheme will make sure they can finish their holiday and return home.

Members of the public commented on our Facebook page yesterday.

Nicola Brown, who is currently on holiday in Turkey, said: “We will get a flight home but only thing that may change is the time. Im not worried at all we are Atol Protected and I’m going to enjoy my last five days in sunny Marmaris. Sad day for Thomas Cook and heart goes out to all the staff who have lost their jobs.”

Janice Barrett said: “Came home from Florida this morning with Thomas Cook the crew were in tears gutted for them.”

The company was unable to secure the extra £200 million needed to keep the business afloat following a full day of crucial talks with the major shareholder and creditors on Sunday.

Richard Moriarty, chief executive of the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), said the government had asked his organisation to launch “the UK’s largest ever peacetime repatriation”.

In a statement, the CAA said: “Thomas Cook Group, including the UK tour operator and airline, has ceased trading with immediate effect.

“All Thomas Cook bookings, including flights and holidays, have now been cancelled.”

Thomas Cook’s chief executive Peter Fankhauser said his company had “worked exhaustively” to salvage a rescue package.

“Although a deal had been largely agreed, an additional facility requested in the last few days of negotiations presented a challenge that ultimately proved insurmountable,” he added.

“I would like to apologise to our millions of customers, and thousands of employees, suppliers and partners who have supported us for many years.”

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said dozens of charter planes, from as far afield as Malaysia, had been hired to fly customers home free of charge and hundreds of people were working in call centres and at airports.

The Department for Transport (DfT) said all customers currently abroad with Thomas Cook who are booked to return to the UK over the next two weeks will be brought home as close as possible to their booked return date.

One of the world’s oldest and largest travel companies, the firm had been trading for 178 years. According to its website, as of this year the group employed 21,000 people in 16 countries, operated 105 aircraft and 200 own-brand hotels and resorts.

For more local news from West Dunbartonshire click here .

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.