Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Sport

Woods has back surgery, will miss Torrey Pines and Riviera

FILE PHOTO: Oct 24, 2020; Thousand Oaks, California, USA; Tiger Woods hits a fairway shot on the 18th hole during the third round of the Zozo Championship golf tournament at Sherwood Country Club. Mandatory Credit: Kelvin Kuo-USA TODAY Sports

Tiger Woods on Tuesday said he underwent a procedure to remove a pressurized disc fragment that was pinching a nerve in his back and will not compete at this month's Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines or at next month's Genesis Invitational at Riviera.

Doctors said the surgery was a success and the 15-times major champion is expected to make a full recovery.

"I look forward to begin training and am focused on getting back out on Tour," said Woods, who has 82 career wins on the PGA Tour.

Woods said he experienced back pain during last month's PNC Championship. The recent microdiscectomy was the 45-year-old American's fifth back surgery.

While he will not be competing at Torrey Pines or Riviera, Woods will still serve as tournament host for the Genesis Invitational in Southern California.

(Reporting by Rory Carroll in Los Angeles; Editing by Toby Davis)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.