Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Holly Evans & Charlotte Hawes

Woman continues to fight for life fortnight after Brixton crush that left two dead

A woman is still fighting for her life in hospital two weeks on from the tragic crowd crush at Brixton's O2 Academy.

Detectives who are investigating the devastating crushing incident at the concert venue have made a fresh appeal today (December 30) for witnesses to come forward with any videos or footage.

Two people have died and a third remains in critical condition in hospital following the horrific scenes that took place on the evening of Thursday, December 15.

MyLondon reports that police officers were first called to the venue at 9.04pm after receiving reports that a large crowd had gathered outside.

The first crew arrived shortly after while another call was made at 9.35pm reporting that people were attempting to force entry into the venue where Afrobeats artist Asake was scheduled to perform.

The O2 Academy in Brixton where the devastating incident took place (Getty Images)

A number of people sustained serious injuries and were treated at the scene by officers, venue staff and London Ambulance Service paramedics.

Rebecca Ikumelo, 33, and Gaby Hutchinson, 23, sadly died in hospital in the days that followed while another 21-year-old woman remains in a critical condition.

Following the death of Gaby, a security dog handler at the event, her partner Phoebe Turley told the PA news agency that people needed to be held responsible for the tragedy.

“Things like this should never have happened,” Ms Turley said. “Every action has a reaction and this consequence has come out of people turning up with no tickets or turning up trying to kick through a door.

Gaby Hutchinson sadly passed away in hospital after the crowd crush (PA)
Rebecca Ikumelo was another victim of the devastating crowd crush (PA)

"For what? What purpose did that serve? Because now you have killed innocent people.”

Detective Superintendent Dave Kennett, from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command, said: “A team of detectives who specialise in complex investigations are working to establish exactly what happened before and during this incident.

"As part of that investigation we are carrying out a comprehensive analysis of any available CCTV footage but we are also very keen to obtain and view any other footage filmed on the night.

“We know from some videos shared on social media immediately after the incident that there were many people caught up in the crowds outside, in the entrances and in the atrium of the venue.

"Some of those people had their phones out and were likely filming or taking photos.

“That footage or those images could include detail that will help us to better piece together exactly what took place and why.

"Two people have died and a third is still very seriously injured and we owe it to them, their families and anyone else affected by this incident to do leave no stone unturned.”

There are a number of options for providing information to assist investigating officers:

  • Call police the police non-emergency number on 101, providing the reference 6725/15DEC.

  • Call the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111 or visit . They are independent of the police, they do not ask for your name, trace your number of your IP address. Anonymity is guaranteed.

  • Submit photos and/or footage HERE . This is a dedicated page for this investigation and is the best method for providing any digital material.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.