Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Tribune
Chicago Tribune
Sport
Teddy Greenstein

With Tiger Woods 'receiving professional help,' what's next for Chicago plan?

Tiger Woods broke his silence Monday evening, releasing a statement that said: "I'm currently receiving professional help to manage my medications and the ways that I deal with back pain and a sleep disorder."

Woods also thanked his fans and fellow professional golfers for their "amazing outpouring of support and understanding."

Woods was arrested May 29 on a DUI charge after he was found asleep at the wheel of his Mercedes near his Florida home.

Organizers of the Jackson Park/South Shore Chicago project still hope Woods can fulfill his duties as the lead designer, helping to merge the century-old courses into a new course worthy of hosting a PGA Tour event and attracting tourist dollars.

This is an important week for the project. Officials from the Chicago Park District, City Hall and the Chicago Parks Golf Alliance (CPGA) will meet with residents Wednesday evening at the South Shore Cultural Center to update plans, release a course routing and solicit community feedback.

NBC golf analyst Mark Rolfing, who heads the CPGA, was bombarded with questions about Woods last week at Erin Hills, site of the U.S. Open.

"From a personal standpoint, I want Tiger to focus on what's most important to him, not South Shore/Jackson Park," Rolfing told the Tribune.

Rolfing said he had not been in contact with Woods since the arrest, adding: "I figure if he wants to talk, he will (reach out)."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.