Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Sport
Matthew Cooper

Will Pucovski, 23, "unlikely" to play first Ashes Test after suffering 10th concussion

Australia opener Will Pucovski is "unlikely" to play in the first Ashes Test after suffering a setback in his recovery from a concussion, Victoria coach Chris Rogers has said.

Pucovski took a blow to the head while training with Victoria last month, suffering the 10th concussion of his short career.

The 23-year-old was due to return to action for Victoria in their upcoming Sheffield Shield game against New South Wales but he has been ruled out of the match.

Pucovski made his only international appearance to date in the third Test of Australia's series against India, making a half-century in the first innings.

Will Pucovski has suffered a setback in his recovery from a concussion, meaning he is likely to miss the first Ashes Test at the Gabba (Getty Images)

He was then ruled out of the fourth Test with a shoulder injury, but remained in contention to partner David Warner at the top of the innings against England.

However, Rogers has conceded that it is unlikely Pucovski will be able to play in the first Ashes Test, which is due to be played at the Gabba on December 8.

"In discussions with the medical team and national selectors, it was felt we'd give him a bit more time before he's selected to play for Australia," Rogers said.

"No doubt it's a setback - I'd say now it's unlikely he'll play in the first Test.

"If we do play a third Shield game in mid-November, and there might be a second XI game for Victoria as well, that might prepare him for one of the matches in the middle of the Ashes series.

"That's the best-case scenario at the moment."

Australia captain Tim Paine said last month that Marcus Harris, who starred in this year's County Championship for Leicestershire and recently signed a two-year deal with Gloucestershire, is the "frontrunner" to open in Brisbane.

Pucovski, 23, has suffered a total of ten concussions during his career (Mark Kolbe - CA/Cricket Australia via Getty Images)

Speaking on SEN, Paine said: "It’s a blow [Pucovski's injury], no doubt. In my opinion, he would’ve partnered David Warner in that first Test match, there’s no doubt about that.

"But Marcus Harris is probably the guy waiting for the opportunity and he’s just come back from a superb six months over in England playing for Leicestershire in county cricket and we know his first-class record has been outstanding for Victoria for a long time.

"He's probably the frontrunner now for that role."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.