Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Hindu
The Hindu
National
Special Correspondent

‘Will dispose of ration card applications in 2 months’

Minister for Food, Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs K. Gopalaiah at a review meeting in Mandya on Wednesday. (Source: Special Arrangement)

Minister for Food, Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs K. Gopalaiah on Tuesday said the State government will dispose of applications for ration cards in the next two months by issuing cards to eligible families.

Addressing officials concerned while reviewing the progress of his department, the Minister said some issues, including server problems, had been affecting the processes pertaining to the acceptance/issuance of ration cards, and they would be rectified soon.

According to Mr. Gopalaiah, 2.4 lakh applications for ration cards from across the State have been pending before the department.

He also cautioned beneficiaries of the Anna Bhagya scheme against selling rice taken under the public distribution scheme in the open market. He said he was committed to weeding out “fake beneficiaries” of the scheme through measures such as holding meetings with officials and paying surprise visits to fair price shops.

The Minister said the government would look into the news of chemicals/poisonous substances found in the Anna Bhagya rice at some fair price shops.

The government would procure paddy under the minimum support price scheme till March 31, he said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.