Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
National
Theresa Braine

Wildfire on California-Nevada border kills 1, destroys more than 80 structures

One person was killed and more than 80 structures, including dozens of homes, have been damaged or destroyed as yet another wildfire scorched more than 20,000 acres, this time on the California-Nevada border.

The fire started Tuesday just after noon Pacific time, according to InciWeb, a fire-incident reporting agency.

On Wednesday California Gov. Gavin Newsom declared a state of emergency for Mono County.

More than 100 families had been displaced, and as of late Wednesday it had been just 20% contained, the Mono County Sheriff's Office said.

The Mammoth Lakes Chamber of Commerce put out an appeal for assistance. Evacuation orders in effect for three counties were starting to be lifted late Wednesday into Thursday, the Mono County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

On the upside, rain and snow that fell above 5,000 feet altitude slowed the fire's growth, the Los Angeles Times reported, citing the federal Bureau of Land Management.

"The goal of wildland fire crews today is to remain focused on protection of the communities of Walker, Coleville and Topaz as well as the Camp Antelope Native American Community," the bureau said.

The dead person's identity was not released, and the fire's cause has not been determined.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.