- Alphabet Inc's (NASDAQ:GOOG) (NASDAQ:GOOGL) Google looks to adopt new privacy restrictions to curtail tracking across apps on Android smartphones.
- Google’s plans for Android could drive an end to more than a decade of advertising practices across smartphones, the Wall Street Journal reports.
- The move would affect companies, including Meta Platforms Inc’s (NASDAQ:FB) Facebook, which has layered their code into thousands of apps to track consumer behavior.
- Recently, Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) had restrained the advertising industry that has covertly collected data across billions of mobile devices.
- Apple’s changes have contributed to a wipeout of over $300 billion from Meta’s market value.
- The planned changes to Android could deepen the financial woes of Meta’s Facebook, as Apple’s changes would cost it $10 billion this year in lost sales.
- Google aims to develop more privacy-focused replacements for the alphanumeric identifiers associated with individual smartphones.
- Google had criticized Apple’s approach to improving privacy, calling it ineffective to limit tracking across apps.
- Google said that the app-tracking replacements it plans to develop for mobile phones would work similarly to those it proposes for web browsers. It intends to replace user-tracking technology called third-party cookies.
- Price Action: FB shares traded lower by 3.18% at $213.98 in the market on the last check Wednesday.
Enter your email to read this article
Read news on any topic, in one place, from publishers like The Economist, FT, Bloomberg and more.
Why Is Facebook Parent Meta's Stock Trading Lower Today?
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Top stories on inkl right now
Council budgets for road maintenance in Victoria and NSW eroded by wet weather damage
Victorian and New South Wales councils are having to find extra money to repair regional roads damaged by heavy downpours…
Here's Why Magnite, Digital Turbine, Trade Desk Shares Are Trading Lower Today
Shares of adtech companies fell on Wednesday morning on a report that Alphabet Inc's (NASDAQ:GOOG) (NASDAQ:GOOGL) Google will stop cross-app tracking on Android phones,…
From analysis to the latest developments in health, read the most diverse news in one place.
Google to overhaul ad tracking system on Android devices
Washington (AFP) - Google announced plans Wednesday to limit ad tracking on its Android operating system running on billions of…
Google says to overhaul ad tracking system on Android devices
Washington (AFP) - Google announced plans Wednesday to limit ad tracking on its Android operating system, a sensitive privacy issue…
Privacy Changes To Google Cross-App Tracking Could Stir Stocks
Google is changing its privacy policies for Android users. The private advertising solutions that prohibit Google cross-app tracking could shake…
Google to phase out cross-app ad tracking on Android devices
It's a major upheaval to how advertising and data collection will work on Android devices.
One place to find news on any topic, from hundreds of sites.