Bristol Bears’ front row resources are set to be tested like never before on Friday when they host Newcastle Falcons in a battle of second vs third at Ashton Gate.
The entire Bears frontrow which played in the 27-19 win against Harlequins last weekend are currently isolating for 10 days after one Bristol player tested positive for Covid-19.
That means: Yann Thomas, Will Capon, John Afoa, Bryan Byrne, Jake Woolmore and Max Lahiff are all unavailable for selection against Falcons on New Year’s Day
Meanwhile Harlequins’ game against Worcester Warriors has been cancelled following one positive test at the London club during Premiership Rugby's weekly testing, with a further six players ruled out of selection by contact tracing meaning they are now isolating.
As a result Harlequins are unable to field a full front row for the match against Worcester.
In contrast the Bears believe they are in a position to play their fixture after putting a system into place where they don’t train together until they get the weekly results of the Premiership Rugby Covid screening meaning there is no chance of transmitting the virus should a player test positive.
But Bristol director of rugby Pat Lam must now select six frontrower for his matchday 23 to face his old club Newcastle from: recently recovered Jake Armstrong (tighthead) and Kyle Sinckler (tighthead) - who was meant to be on the second week of a two week mandatory rest for England players; Peter McCabe and integrated academy prop Andrew Turner are the options at loosehead and George Kloska looks set to start at hooker having made his Premiership debut against the Falcons on the final day of the 2018/19 season.
Indeed hooker seems to be the problem area, unless injured Harry Thacker, who has been sidelined with a neck issue, is ready for return.
Ahead of the start of the season Lam said Thacker would be back in January, which of course is on Friday however he was not one of the names the Bears boss dropped on Boxing Day when he mentioned full back Charles Piutau and winger Luke Morahan will both be back in contention to play this week.
Hooker Darren Dawidiuk, who was on trial at the club before Christmas and played in the friendly against Ealing Trailfinders, is no longer with the club.
Earlier this month the Bears announced the signing of Argentina international tighthead Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro but he is yet to arrive at the club, with his contract starting in January.
The 54-cap prop who started in his country's historic victory over the All Blacks and two draws with Australia recently in the Rugby Championship, was really signed as cover for Kyle Sinckler during the 2021 Six Nations.
Lam admitted he has never faced a front row selection shortage like it in his time in management, but said: “That’s why we train with a lot of the integrated academy guys.
“There are [positive] selection headaches in every other area.
“We are going to be pretty competitive. The only depth I don’t have is in the front row.”
Team news will be announced a midday tomorrow (Thursday).