April 17--DETROIT -- While the Cubs called up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday, White Sox manager Robin Ventura is keeping quiet on a timetable for the top Sox prospect's major-league debut.
Left-hander Carlos Rodon, the No. 3 overall draft pick in last June's draft, has less minor-league seasoning than Bryant -- 34 2/3 professional innings to date -- and despite a solid spring showing, the Sox sent him to Triple-A Charlotte to continue his work.
The Sox obviously aren't worried about playing "Keeping up with the Cubs," and Ventura wouldn't give a projection Friday of when the Sox plan to see Rodon in Chicago.
"I'm not going to sit here and (say) just because somebody else does something, we have to do something," Ventura said. "Until you get a report and you have a need, we're playing in Detroit today."
If and when the Sox become satisfied with Rodon's work on his changeup and fastball command, he seemingly would fill a need. John Danks and Hector Noesi -- the Sox fourth and fifth starters -- have lasted 15 total innings over three starts, allowing 10 earned runs in that time.
Rodon, 22, started his second game with Charlotte on Thursday, allowing three earned runs on six hits, walking two and striking out four over five innings. He has a 3.60 ERA over two starts so far this year.
Ventura said he does follow Rodon from afar.
"I don't get to see him in person," Ventura said. "You have guys that make reports and go from there."