Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Sun-Times
Chicago Sun-Times
Sport
Daryl Van Schouwen

White Sox, catcher James McCann agree on 1-year, $5.4 million deal

The White Sox and catcher James McCann have agreed on a one-year, $5.4 million deal. | David Banks/AP

The White Sox and catcher James McCann agreed Monday on a one-year, $5.4 million deal, hours before the non-tender deadline.

The Sox will tender contracts to closer Alex Colome, left-hander Carlos Rodon, outfielder-infielder Leury Garcia and right-handed reliever Evan Marshall, who are eligible for arbitration. Contracts for Gold Glove second baseman Yolmer Sanchez, right-hander Ryan Burr and left-hander Caleb Frare were not tendered. Sanchez cleared waivers last week.

Right-hander Thyago Vieira has been released and will play for the Yomiuri Giants in Japan, leaving the 40-man roster at 36.

McCann’s agreement avoids arbitration for the 29-year-old receiver who batted .273/.328./460 with 18 homers and 60 RBI in 118 games in his first season with the Sox, who were expected to offer him a contract.

McCann had a strong first half and made the AL All-Star team after signing a one-year, $2 million deal when the Tigers declined to tender a contract a year ago. McCann will be a free agent after the 2020 season.

The Sox signed catcher Yasmani Grandal to a four-year, club record $73 million deal this offseason with the idea of using both catchers. Grandal, a two-time NL All-Star including 2019 with the Brewers, can also play first base and both could be used as designated hitters as well. Grandal is a switch-hitter; McCann bats right.

“The addition of a catcher of his caliber along with Mac who has certainly helped us move some of these [pitchers] along in a very positive way bodes well for us,” manager Rick Renteria said last week.

Right-hander Lucas Giolito spoke highly throughout his breakout, All-Star season of McCann’s pitch calling and game planning. The Sox also value McCann’s clubhouse presence.

“Having two quality guys behind the plate to help these guys mature and drive and push toward what we believe is going to be a positive and impactful upcoming season is a plus,” Renteria said.

Colome, Rodon, Garcia and Marshall will either agree to terms on a salary for 2020 or go through arbitration. The non-tendered players become free agents.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.