
Washington and Tehran are expected to sit soon at the same table to discuss the nuclear deal with Iran, Western and US diplomatic sources said Thursday.
“American and European diplomats said informal talks could begin in coming weeks. When they do, it is expected that the United States and Iran could agree to take simultaneous steps toward coming back into compliance with the 2015 accord,” the New York Times wrote on Thursday.
Meanwhile, President Joe Biden's national security adviser, Jake Sullivan, and his Israeli counterpart, Meir Ben-Shabbat held Thursday the first virtual meeting of a US-Israel Strategic Consultative Group to talk about Iran.
"During the discussion, the two sides shared perspectives on regional security issues of mutual interest and concern, including Iran, and expressed their common determination to confront the challenges and threats facing the region," Emily Horne, spokeswoman for the White House National Security Council, said in a statement.
"The National Security Advisors agreed on the importance of strategic interagency consultations and pledged to continue to these engagements," Horne said.
US overtures to Tehran have set the stage for possible new strains in the US-Israel alliance.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has differences with the new Biden administration on Iran. He recently hinted that Israel might resort to military action against Tehran.
Israel hopes to prevent tension between Netanyahu and Biden over their differences on the Iranian nuclear question by delegating talks on the topic to their senior staff, an Israeli official said late last month.
In a related development, Israeli President Reuven Rivlin will depart for a visit to Europe on March 16, during which he will hold a series of meetings in Berlin, Vienna and Paris with the presidents of Germany, Austria and France.
He will discuss the dangers of Hezbollah’s rising power and the Iran’s nuclear program.