Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
National
Nadia Khomami

West Midlands schools evacuated after bomb threats

A parent tells BBC local radio about the evacuation

Three schools in the West Midlands have been evacuated after receiving a bomb threat.

The Holly Lodge, Oldbury academy and Bristnall Hall in Sandwell received calls between 9am and 9.30am on Tuesday. A fourth school in Dudley, Leasowes high school, was also affected, but police said no bombs or suspicious objects were found on any of the premises.

A spokesman for West Midlands police said: “Detectives are investigating after three Sandwell schools received bomb scare calls this morning. A school in Dudley was also affected.

“Some institutions took the independent decision to evacuate students. All are safe and being cared for as usual by staff.”

The leader of Sandwell council, Darren Cooper, told the BBC: “We’ve had a bomb alert in three Sandwell schools ... we don’t know at this stage where the tip came from.”

There was no suggestion of any threat to other schools in the area, the authority said, adding that the Harry Mitchell Centre in Broomfield, Smethwick, had been opened for children who had to leave school and were not able to get home.

Youth workers have also been deployed in the area to assist any children getting home or to the Harry Mitchell Centre.

Bristnall Hall tweeted:

Steve, a parent from Oldbury, whose son and daughter attend Oldbury academy, told BBC WM the children were told by their teachers to evacuate. “They did not know what was going on, they had no information off the teachers,” he said. “They were just scared, because they didn’t know exactly what was going on.”

Two Oldbury Academy pupils said pupils and staff were panicking. “A few people were running down the street, running away from the school,” one said. Meanwhile, a pupil at Bristnall Hall said a teacher was shaking as she told pupils to leave.

A police investigation is under way to find the person responsible for the calls. Anyone with information is urged to call police on 101.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.