Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Edinburgh Live
Edinburgh Live
Iona Young

West Lothian mum left with 'tingling lips for hours' from Morrisons pork meal

A West Lothian mum was left with 'tingling lips for hours' after eating a marinated pork meal from Morrisons.

Samantha Nevin, 35, from Livingston was at the Carmodean store when she purchased some Chinese flavoured pork for dinner with her daughter.

The mum-of-two had popped in to get a last minute tea for her family on the evening of Tuesday October 4.

They started to tuck into the dish when her lips and those of eight-year-old Darby began to tingle and they were left with an 'awful' taste in their mouths.

READ MORE - Edinburgh author Sir Ian Rankin's archive to go on display at National Library

An hour after eating the pork they said their mouths were still tingling and they could not get rid of the flavour.

So the mum took the product back to the store and to her surprise three colleagues were left baffled by the smell of the item too and could not identify it. Staff offered her a refund.

Speaking to Edinburgh Live, the mum said: "I bought it around 7pm last night with some baby potatoes for me and my little girl's dinner.

"I took it home boiled the potatoes cooked the pork steaks in the oven like I always do as I buy them all the time. Then dished up we both took a bit of the pork steak and my daughter Darby spat it straight out and said mum that’s spicy."

The mum then tried the pork dish for herself. She said: "Then I put mine in my mouth and instantly my tongue started tingling and the taste was vile. I told her not to eat it just eat her tatties and she couldn’t eat them because she could still taste whatever was on the meat and her tongue was burning.

"Honestly it felt like the nipping when you touched your tongue with a battery when you were a kid."

Samantha then took it back to the store and received a refund and she said the 'smell of the vile' pork product left a number of staff members just as confused as the family at the flavour.

The mum explained: "So I packed it back in the packaging and told my husband I was taking it back to let them know.

"I then spoke to the manager he sniffed it and at first said it was just the spices I said no way is that spice it smells like clove oil but stronger, then three other members of staff smelt it and agreed it was disgusting so he said he will report it and gave me a £1.32 refund.

"I asked if he needed any of my details and he said no then I came home and emailed Morrisons directly but yet to hear anything so thought I would post on facebook just incase anyone else had bought it as it could be dangerous for all we know an elderly person or a child could eat it."

Samantha warned others writing in a local facebook group: "Just a wee warning to watch out if you bought any Chinese marinated stuff from the butcher deli at Morrisons today.

"I bought these at around 7pm today for mine and my daughters dinner looked fine cooked them put them on the plate both of us took a bit and our tongues started burning and there was an awful taste. It was so strong and I didn’t have a clue what it was.

"I took them back and three members of staff could smell it too and couldn’t think of what it smelt like.

"It clicked on way home that the smell reminded me of clove oil. The customer service assistant I spoke to said he will log it but didn’t take any of my details.

"Just thought I would warn folk incase anyone else has bought them. I'm scared incase it’s something really bad as this was over an hour ago and our tongues are still tingling and can taste the vile taste."

Many locals were concerned over the odd incident. Nicola Mullen said: "They should send it away to be analysed but will probably tell you nothing is wrong."

Sign up for Edinburgh Live newsletters for more headlines straight to your inbox

Diane Porteous exclaimed: "Oh my god, thats awful defo need that looked into that could of been eaten by a child or elderly."

A Morrisons spokesperson said: "We have been in touch with the customer and reassured her that there was no heath and safety issue with the product".


Da Vinci rapist Robert Greens moved into home near playpark in Midlothian

Warning to all drivers to stop filling their petrol tanks after the first 'click'

Devastated Edinburgh family turned away at the airport gate with ill baby son

Unassuming Edinburgh cafe named one of the best in the world by TripAdvisor

Bride wears cheap black dress at her wedding to get revenge on demanding in-laws

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.