Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Football London
Football London
Sport
Callum Rice-Coates

West Ham send Chelsea Declan Rice transfer warning as Thiago decision is made

Here is your Chelsea morning digest for Saturday, September 12.

Werner backed to win Golden Boot

New Chelsea signing Timo Werner is expected to be among the Premier League’s top scorers this season.

The Germany international was signed from RB Leipzig this summer in a £45million deal.

And there are hopes that he will hit the ground running after scoring 28 goals in the Bundesliga last season.

Reach PLC’s football writers have backed Werner to continue his prolific goal scoring at Chelsea, who begin their Premier League season with a trip to Brighton & Hove Albion on Monday night.

Chelsea reach Edouard Mendy transfer agreement

The 24-year-old will be surrounded by attacking talent, with the Blues having also signed Hakim Ziyech and Kai Havertz in this transfer window.

Moyes says Chelsea will need ‘the Bank of England’ to sign Rice

Chelsea have been warned by West Ham United manager David Moyes they will need the Bank of England behind them if they are to sign Declan Rice.

The Blues have been regularly linked with the 21-year-old, who began his career at Stamford Bridge but was released from the club’s academy in 2013.

Rice has enjoyed an impressive rise at West Ham, forcing his way into the England team and establishing himself as one of the country’s most in-demand young players.

But Moyes has made it clear the Hammers have no intention to sell their star man.

“We have still got a long way to go in the window, maybe somebody has the Bank of England but nobody has shown that,” he said, quoted by the Daily Express.

“It was always the plan, there was no intention to lose Declan Rice.

“We have had no bids and no enquiries. There is a lot of speculation but I can only tell you what I know.”

Chelsea not interested in signing Liverpool target

Chelsea are not in the race to sign Bayern Munich midfielder Thiago, according to journalist Fabrizio Romano.

The Spain international has been repeatedly linked with a move to Liverpool this summer, but a deal continues to elude the Premier League champions.

Manchester United are also believed to be interested, and there had been talk of a potential move from Chelsea.

The Blues are in the market for a central midfielder - specifically West Ham’s Rice - but have no plans to make an offer for Thiago, despite his availability.

“Chelsea have not made any contact for Thiago Alcantara – just to be clear,” Romano wrote on Twitter.

“Manchester United had a contact with his agent days ago but have not started any official talk with Bayern Münich.

“So quiet atm. And Jurgen Klopp would love to have Thiago as new #LFC signing.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.