Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Al Jazeera
Al Jazeera
World
Al Jazeera and news agencies

Weinstein accusers say he is 'trying to gaslight society again'

Harvey Weinstein leaving court after a hearing in his sexual assault case at the New York State Supreme Court in New York [Lucas Jackson/Reuters]

Twenty-three women who have accused Harvey Weinstein of sexual misconduct said on Monday the disgraced Hollywood mogul was "trying to gaslight society again" after he referred to himself as "the forgotten man" in an interview.

"He says in a new interview he doesn't want to be forgotten. Well, he won't be," the women said in a statement.

"He will be remembered as a sexual predator and an unrepentant abuser who took everything and deserves nothing," they added "He will be remembered by the collective will of countless women who stood up and said enough. We refuse to let this predator rewrite his legacy of abuse."

More:

In an interview with The New York Post published on Sunday, Weinstein said he was a pioneer in advancing the careers of women in the film industry, but his work has been forgotten in the wake of allegations of sexual assault.

"I made more movies directed by women and about women than any filmmaker, and I'm talking about 30 years ago. I'm not talking about now, when it's vogue. I did it first! I pioneered it!"

Scores of women have accused the movie mogul of sexual misconduct. He has denied allegations of non-consensual sex. He faces a January 6 trial on rape and sexual assault charges in New York state court, where he has pleaded not guilty.

"It all got eviscerated because of what happened,'' Weinstein said in the interview. "My work has been forgotten.''

Rose McGowan, on of his accusers, also responded to the interview online. 

"I didn't forget you, Harvey. My body didn't forget you," McGowan tweeted. 

"I wish it could. I refused to sign an NDA after it happened because I knew I would come for you. And I did. This is about stopping a prolific rapist. You," she added.

Weinstein was interviewed while recuperating at the New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center on Friday, a day after spinal surgery.

Earlier this month, Weinstein reportedly reached a $25m settlement with more than 30 women. According to reports, Weinstein would avoid playing any of his own money in the settlement and would not be required to admit any wrongdoing. 

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.