Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Liam Thorp

Wedding guest limit expected to be lifted on June 21

A limit on the number of guests at weddings will be lifted regardless of the government's other lockdown easing decisions, according to reports.

Boris Johnson will announce on Monday whether his plan to lift all restrictions in the country will take place on June 21 - or whether there will be a delay.

The Prime Minister's roadmap had aimed for June 21 as the date when all social distancing measures and other restrictions would be removed in England - but the growth of the Delta variant of the virus has put this at risk.

The government is now believed to be considering partially lifting restrictions in a "mix and match" fashion.

But according to The Times, Monday's announcement will bring good news for people hoping to get married.

The newspaper reports that Mr Johnson will lift the current 30-person limit on weddings, even if the easing of other lockdown restrictions is delayed.

The Prime Minister, who married Carrie Symonds on May 29, is understood to be determined to lift curbs on weddings and receptions this month.

The wedding industry - and those hoping to tie the knot - have been hugely affected by different lockdown rules and numbers limits over the past year.

Reports suggest that ministers are considering delaying the overall easing of lockdown rules for two weeks from July 21 amid growing concern about the Delta variant, which was first discovered in India.

But the Times says it has been told that under these plans, the limit on wedding guests would be lifted - even if social distancing rules remain in place.

This would bring the rules for weddings in line with funerals, for which the 30-person limit was scrapped last month.

It is understood that wedding guests will not be required to sit at socially distanced tables, but will be advised to be 'cautious' about contact with other households.

The guidance may advise against guests dancing - apart from the couple's first dance - and staff will be required to wear masks unless eating or drinking.

The reports suggest that people will be advised to make their own assessment of the risks of hugging others.

A government source told The Times: "It's been tough on the sector. If you've got stadiums full of people, why can't weddings go ahead with more than 30 people?"

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.