This is the online version of our daily newsletter, The Morning Win. Subscribe to get irreverent and incisive sports stories, delivered to your mailbox every morning.
The Los Angeles Lakers had their season come to an ugly end last night in Dallas where they lost to the Mavs, 128-110, in a game that was never as close as that final score (they once trailed by 37 points!) and was embarrassing throughout for a team that didn’t have LeBron James, Anthony Davis or any hope.
With that loss we can officially stop talking about the Lakers because let’s face it – they aren’t doing anything special this year. The loss dropped them to 11th in the Western Conference and out of the play-in position with seven games to go.
I know what you’re thinking – you just said they have seven games left! Their season isn’t over!
But that’s where you’re wrong. LeBron and the Lakers are done. Finished. Kaput. See ya next year.
The Lakers are 4-10 against the remaining teams they face, which includes two games against Denver and games against playoff teams like the Jazz, Warriors, and Suns.
The Spurs, who took over the 10th spot from the Lakers, are 5-11 against their remaining opponents and have two games against the Trail Blazers, who are in full tank mode.
We’ve been talking about this Lakers team since last summer when they traded for Russell Westbrook, a move that made many people to believe that LeBron, AD, and Westbrook could be an unstoppable trio that could lead the Lakers to their 18th NBA title, or at least make them a contender
Yeah, neither of those are happening this year.
Instead, it’s been a mess of a season that has seen LeBron and AD miss a lot of time due to injuries.
The Lakers are 31-44, which is pretty embarrassing for a team with the talent and expectations that they’ve had this year.
Westbrook hasn’t been a good fit since basically Day 1 and things have not been easy for him in his first year with his hometown team.
Oh, and now NBA fans have become rightfully become furious every time the Lakers or national TV. Also, one fan did a hilarious investigation into what looks like the Lakers doing LeBron a favor on social media after losses.
Now, thankfully, we don’t have to think about the Lakers anymore. We don’t need to talk about them. And we certainly don’t need to debate whether they could still make a run in the postseason.
There are so many other good NBA teams that should be getting all of the attention and that can happen now.
As for the Lakers, the only thing they’re making a run at is to a long summer vacation.
Quick hits: Giannis Antetokounmpo’s best dad jokes… Lots of lasers pointed at Mo Salah… Paul Rudd pranks Conan… And more.
– Giannis Antetokounmpo broke out another dad joke last night so here are seven of his best dad jokes that he’s told this year.
– Mo Salah had a ton of green lasers pointed at his face before missing crucial penalty shot in Egypt’s loss to Senegal, which knocked Egypt out of the World Cup.
– Paul Rudd pranked Conan O’Brien again with the same movie clip he’s used many times before and it was pretty great.
– A Boston Bruins fan absolutely freaked out after a goal got called back.
– You need to sign up for our new daily NBA newsletter Layup Lines. It gets you ready every afternoon for the big games coming up at night and more. Signing up for it is quick and easy to do right here. You’re going to want this in your basketball lives.