Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Andrew Brown

'We are in a strong position': Another day without new COVID-19 case in ACT

The ACT has gone another 24 hours without a new confirmed case of coronavirus.

It has now been 12 days since the last case of COVID-19 was confirmed in Canberra with the number of active cases in the capital remaining at three.

The past 24 hours had one of the highest numbers of people getting tested for COVID-19, with ACT Health confirming 1355 tests returned a negative result.

Read more: 'Brazen' restaurant fined for breaching restrictions despite repeated warnings

There have now been almost 44,000 negative tests for coronavirus in the ACT since the start of the pandemic.

The figures come as Victoria registered a record high number of new cases with 484 detected in the past 24 hours, the most of any Australian state or territory in a single day.

Health authorities have confirmed more than 130 Canberrans were self-isolating after attending the Batemans Bay Soldiers Club last week, which had been linked to an outbreak of six cases in the region.

Anyone who attended the club on July 13 as well as July 15 to 17 has been required to self-quarantine.

People who have visited the club on those days have been asked to contact health authorities and get tested if they have any symptoms.

ACT chief health officer Dr Kerryn Coleman said although the news of no new cases was well received, Canberrans should remain cautious.

ACT chief health officer Dr Kerryn Coleman. Picture: Sitthixay Ditthavong

"We are in a strong position in the ACT at the moment but we all need to work together as a community to ensure it stays that way," Dr Coleman said.

"The situation is evolving rapidly so it is important any Canberrans who have been travelling in NSW recently to monitor the latest NSW Health advice."

ACT residents who have been to locations in NSW where there have been known outbreaks including the Crossroads Hotel in Casula between July 3 and 10; Planet Fitness in Casula between July 4 and July 10; and Picton Hotel in Picton on July 4, 5, 9 or 10; have been ordered to self-quarantine for 14 days, regardless of whether they have any symptoms.

Dr Coleman said Canberrans were urged to not travel to areas on NSW where outbreaks were occurring.

"Even for those people who have stayed in the ACT during the quarantine period, I remind you to stay vigilant practice good physical distancing and good hygiene practices and get tested if you have any symptoms," she said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.