Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Sport

WBA champion Charr's title defence cancelled after 'suspect' test

BERLIN (Reuters) - Heavyweight champion Manuel Charr will not defend his WBA belt next week against American challenger Fres Oquendo after a 'suspect' doping test by the Syrian forced the fight to be cancelled, his management said on Thursday.

Charr's A sample from an Aug. 31 test showed "two suspect substances" and due to time constraints regarding the opening and testing of the B sample the bout was now cancelled.

"I cannot explain it and I am asking myself how could it happen," the fighter, who lives in Cologne, told the Koelner Express newspaper.

"I have never taken anything. I fought Vitali Klitschko and Alexander Povetkin, seven title fights and I was always a clean athlete. "Why should I take something before the fight against Fres Oquendo."

The 33-year-old Charr (31-4) had won the WBA title against Russia's Alexander Ustinov last year.

(This version of the story refiled to fix typo in headline).

(Reporting by Karolos Grohmann, editing by Pritha Sarkar)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.