Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
National

Wayne Yanko jailed for weapons offences over alleged interstate trafficking scheme

Wayne Yanko, 59, had pleaded not guilty to the charges. (AAP: Dan Peled)

A man described as the "instigator" and "prime mover" of a gun trafficking operation, which saw high-powered pistols sold to alleged criminals, has become the first person in Queensland to be jailed over the Commonwealth crime.

Earlier this week 59-year-old Wayne Yanko was found guilty in the District Court in Brisbane to four counts of cross-border disposal and acquisition of firearms.

During the trial, the prosecution alleged in 2016 Yanko hatched a plan with two other men to legally purchase bulk weapons in Queensland using a legitimate dealers licence, with the intention to illegally move the weapons "out of the system".

The court heard the trio purchased more than 100 semi-automatic handguns of the "most restricted class", mostly from stores in Brisbane for about $1,000 each, and then sold them to alleged criminals in New South Wales and Western Australia for up to $25,000 each.

It also heard some of the guns had been intercepted by police before they were shipped, but more than 60 had been sent interstate or driven across the NSW border.

Of those, only five were recovered by police during raids on properties and the rest had "disappeared off the grid", the court heard.

Offending caused 'threat to public safety'

On Thursday, Judge Katherine McGinness sentenced Yanko to eight and a half years in prison, telling the court she accepted he "devised the scheme" and showed "no remorse whatsoever".

"You almost certainly have networks for the supply of the guns," she said.

"Your motivation for the offending was a substantial financial gain."

Judge McGinness said Yanko's actions had resulted in dozens of guns being unaccounted for, causing a "threat to public safety".

"Those handguns that remain unrecovered are likely to be in the possession of criminals," she said.

When determining Yanko's sentence, Judge McGinness took into consideration his "disadvantaged childhood", long criminal history and positive character references.

"Hopefully you are now getting to an age where you will no longer offend in the future," she told him.

Yanko will be eligible for parole after serving six years in prison.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.