Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Barry Toohey

Watson quits Knights to link with Sydney Roosters

Knights utility Connor Watson will quit the club at the end of the season to link with the Sydney Roosters for the next two seasons.

It's understood Watson told coach Adam O'Brien and his Newcastle teammates of his decision on Tuesday morning.

Connor Watson

Watson rejected an offer of a three-year extension at the Knights worth around $350,000-a-season to return to the Roosters, the club who gave him his start in the NRL, on a deal understood to be for less money.

The utility star, who played his 100th NRL game against the Sharks on Sunday, has played 62 of those with the Knights over the past four seasons.

As late as last week, O'Brien was still confident of retaining the 25-year-old despite the Roosters' interest.

He claimed the club had made him a good offer.

"From what I understand, it's more than competitive with our rivals, so I think now it comes down to a decision from Connor himself on where he sees himself next year," O'Brien said prior to the Sharks game.

"But certainly from the club's point of view, I think it's more than competitive, our offer, and we do value him, we all love Connor.

"I'd love for him to continue with us and be a member of, hopefully, any future success we have."

# Meanwhile, Knights backrower Tyson Frizell has accepted a one-match ban for a grade one careless high tackle and will miss Saturday's clash against the Bulldogs on the Gold Coast.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.