July 30--Despite record heat, drought-conscious Californians managed to slash urban water use by 27% in June and demonstrated once again that they were on track to meet Gov. Jerry Brown's historic 25% conservation order, state water officials said Thursday.
Data released by the State Water Resources Control Board showed that Californians reduced their water consumption by 59 billion gallons last month compared with June 2013, a fundamental change in water use habits.
At the same time, however, 16 of the state's water suppliers missed their conservation targets by more than 15 percentage points and will be contacted by water officials for an explanation in the next two weeks, officials said. As of yet, no water suppliers have been issued fines.
The board's chairwoman said she worried that residents might ease up on their efforts in anticipation of a potentially drenching El Nieason.
"It's not that I hate El NiI hate El Niype," said Felicia Marcus. "It's Russian roulette .... If it happens we'll celebrate, but we can't count on it."
June was the first month that urban water districts had to meet mandatory conservation targets in order to comply with Brown's drought order. Suppliers that did not reduce water consumption by a large enough amount could face fines of as much as $10,000.
Brown has ordered urban water users to reduce use 25% by the end of February -- the first mandatory water rationing in California history.
See the most-read stories this hour >>
In order to meet that requirement, the water resources board assigned each of California's 411 urban water districts a "conservation standard." Under the board's plan, some water suppliers with a history of high use must slash their water consumption by as much as 36% compared with 2013. Other districts with a history of low water use must cut consumption by as little as 4%.
According to results of a statewide survey released Wednesday by the Public Policy Institute of California, 64% of adults say they don't know their water district's target.
Interested in the stories shaping California? Sign up for the free Essential California newsletter >>
In May, California cities and towns cut water consumption 28.9% compared with May 2013, the largest monthly savings since the state began reporting conservation data last summer.
The water board will track compliance on both a monthly and rolling basis over the next nine months. In extreme cases, the water board can issue cease-and-desist orders to suppliers that fail to meet their targets and fine the agencies as much as $10,000 if they don't comply.
Water suppliers that are issued cease-and-desist orders have an opportunity to contest them and may ask for a hearing before the water board, officials said. Such orders would not become effective until the process is complete.
Officials have said they are more likely -- at least initially -- to issue "conservation orders" that would give providers specific directions on how to save more water. For example, the state could order a water district to increase enforcement or public outreach. Violation of a conservation order carries a penalty of as much as $500 a day.
ALSO:
El Niushing high temps, rain into California in coming days
Sen. Dianne Feinstein introduces $1.3-billion drought-relief bill
Devastating floods might be more common than we thought
UPDATE
2:24 p.m.: This article has been updated with additional details and comment from state water officials.
11:06 a.m.: This article has been was updated with June's conservation figure.
This article was originally published at 5:45 a.m.