Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Belfast Live
Belfast Live
Sport
Gareth Fullerton

Watch: 54-second highlights reel that has Belfast boxer in demand

Belfast's Gerard French is aiming to be a knockout success in boxing, and if this highlights reel is anything to go by he is sure to keep fans entertained in the professional game.

French recently shared a 54-second video of his best amateur KOs on social media.

It shows the 23-year-old flattening opponents with his signature left hook which French believes will carry even more power into the pro ranks.

The former Clonard and Emerald amateur is ready to make the switch after his career was left in limbo during Covid-19.

And despite recently suffering a freak stomach injury which required surgery, French believes the time is right to go pro.

"There's no amateur boxing happening and everything revolves around the pro game right now," he told Belfast Live.

"It has been tough over the past year. Since last February I have had one fight, and that was in the Ulster Elites.

"It is hard seeing other boxers training and preparing for fights, but I can't do anything because I am an amateur.

"The Commonwealth Games are next year, and I was considering holding off for them. But who knows what will happen.

"And then the Paris Olympics after that, but I would just be holding myself back."

French has been in talks with managers and coaches in England and Ireland as he plots his next move.

He was due to travel to England for more talks until he picked up a twisted abdominal injury.

French says sharing his KO video on social media has only heightened interest in his talents.

"I have been in talks with managers and coaches. Talks have been ongoing for a few months now," he added.

"And since I put that video up, a few other people have contacted me. I supposed it worked as a good promotional tactic.

"I believe I am suited to the pro game. In amateur boxing you wear 12oz gloves, and I was still knocking fellas out.

"With 10oz gloves, and with a bit more spite in my shots, I think I could do well. I suppose my left hook has become my trademark punch."

French has previously shared the ring with the likes of Lewis Crocker and Fearghus Quinn in the amateur ranks.

During lockdown Crocker won the WBO European welterweight title, which he defends in Bolton on March 12.

Quinn has also fought twice since the onset of coronavirus.

He says seeing other boxers remaining active during the pandemic has influenced his own decision to turn pro.

"They have been fighting regularly, even during the pandemic," French said.

"I would love to get our as soon as possible, as long as everything goes well in the talks with management etc.

"I just want to fight as soon as possible."

He added: "I had a good amateur record, and I boxed for Ireland from junior right through to elite.

"There was not much more I could have done as an amateur except the Commonwealth Games and Olympics.

"It is now time to write the next chapter."

Reflecting on his injury setback, French said: "It was a freak incident. But I hope to be back training and fighting soon."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.