
Phra Phrom Sittthi was defrocked on Wednesday after the Central Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases rejected his bail request.
The court in Bangkok's Dusit district cited concerns that if he were freed on bail, the abbot of Wat Saket might interfere with evidence and that he was also a flight risk.
After the court's decision, the former member of the Sangkha Council was defrocked at the courthouse by senior monks. He was then escorted to the Bangkok Special Remand prison for a 12-day detention.
Because he has been defrocked, Phra Phrom Sitthi is no longer the temple abbot.
A lawyer for the former monk said he will petition the court on Thursday for another bail request on grounds that the investigation into his client's case had been completed.
Pol Lt Col Sunphet Nuthong of the Crime Suppression Division (CSD) told the court that the police opposed the bail request because investigation was still underway, with more than 20 witnesses yet to be summonsed for interrogation.
Phra Phrom Sitthi, 60, is now a civilian with the name of Thongchai Sukkho.
He fled Wat Saket before the CSD raided the temple on Thursday.
The monk surrendered to the CSD on Wednesday to face charges of temple fund embezzlement of 63 million baht.
Police are hunting another senior monk, Phra Phrom Methee, abbot of Wat Samphanthawong, who is still at large.
Bangkok Special Remand Prison director Krit Krasaethip said Phra Phrom Methee will be treated in the same manner as the six former monks sent to the prison last week.