Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
BARRY TOOHEY

'I have a responsibility': Knights confirm Blake Green signing

Newcastle Knights have announced the signing of Warriors playmaker Blake Green for the remainder of the season.

The Newcastle Herald reported on Tuesday morning that it was understood the Warriors have agreed to release Green immediately, allowing him to link with Newcastle.

The club confirmed the signing in the afternoon, noting he would take Andrew McCullough's place on the squad list after the former Broncos hooker suffered a season-ending injury in the loss to Canterbury.

Knights coach Adam O'Brien revealed on Sunday after his side's loss to Melbourne on the Sunshine Coast the club could look to boost their hooking ranks that have been savaged by injury.

He and Green crossed paths at the Melbourne Storm.

"I've previously worked with Blake, know the family well and he's only going to complement us," coach Adam O'Brien said in a club statement announcing Green's signing.

"Further to that, I know he and Mitchell Pearce will complement each other. They share a lot of similar traits. They are educators and fiercely competitive."

Whether Green will be used in the hooking role or in the halves to partner captain Mitchell Pearce remains to be seen.

O'Brien said the signing was about keeping the team competitive regardless of a mounting injury toll.

"I have a responsibility to the players who are working their backsides off to keep fighting every day and give ourselves the best chance to win," he said.

"We also have a responsibility to our supporters, sponsors and town to compete each week and strive for success."

The 257-game veteran's arrival gave young players "an exciting opportunity ... to soak up some knowledge", O'Brien said.

The Warriors were the 33-year-old's eighth club after stints with Parramatta, the Bulldogs, Melbourne, Cronulla, Hull Kingston Rovers, Wigan and Manly.

"It's important to acknowledge that we have some very young and promising players but their development can't be rushed and it would be unfair to heap unnecessary pressure on a young player at this stage of their career," O'Brien said.

"Blake's arrival allows us to continue their development without putting them at risk."

The club had previously denied rumours the club was eyeing a move for Canterbury's Kieran Foran following reports in Sydney media.

IN THE NEWS:

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.