Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Peter Brewer

Warrants on man who exposed lewd acts

Storm clouds again gather over Parliament House as police investigations continue into lewd acts within the premises. Picture: Sitthaxay Ditthavong

The whistleblower who exposed a lewd act at Parliament House in March has been the subject of two new police search warrants - one in Canberra and another in Mackay, in Queensland - in what his lawyer has described as "victimisation".

Mark Davis, the lawyer for the whistleblower, said he was disturbed by the actions of the Australian Federal Police officers "as police are coming for him [the whistleblower] and not for the perpetrators".

The warrants relate to an incident in March in which a Liberal staffer masturbated on the desk of a female MP at Parliament House, filmed himself doing it on a mobile phone, and then shared the video with others, including the whistleblower.

The video, which was first shown on Channel Ten, sparked a furore over widespread inappropriate and depraved behaviour within Parliament House.

The man who performed the act was sacked but detectives within ACT police, and a dedicated team within the federal police, continue to work on the case.

"This feels like little more than victimisation of a man who did the right thing," Mr Davis said.

"He revealed disgusting behaviour in our national Parliament against a female MP and others.

"And now police are coming for him."

Police only released a brief statement on Saturday which would only confirm "search warrant activity was conducted last week in Mackay and Canberra as part of an ongoing investigation".

"No arrests were made," the statement said.

"This relates to alleged unauthorised sharing of intimate images".

The warrant was executed under section 72C of the Crimes Act 1900 whereby "the offenderknows the other person does not consent to the distribution; or is reckless about whether the other person consents to the distribution". It is commonly referred to as the "revenge porn" clause.

"There is a very disturbing tone to these warrants," Mr Davis said.

"Once again there appears to be an investigation into individual journalists doing their job in the public interest".

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.