Parents are being warned to keep track of their children's whereabouts and who they are with following last night's explosion in Huyton woodland.
Today, police confirmed enquires are ongoing to identify who was responsible for starting the fire, which is believed to have been caused by a group of children throwing gas cannisters or aerosol cans onto a bonfire.
In a statement released by Merseyside Police this morning, chief inspector Phil Mullally called the behaviour of those that started the fire as "reckless" and "utterly irresponsible".
He said doing so had put the community at risk and placed an "unnecessary strain" on emergency services.
He encouraged parents to know where their children are and who they are with and if they're following Covid rules.
In a statement, he said: "Starting fires deliberately and reckless behaviour with flammable products in the manner we saw last night is utterly irresponsible, putting our communities at risk and placing an unnecessary strain on our already overstretched emergency services.
“Thankfully the fire service extinguished the fire before anyone was harmed but this reckless disregard for people and property is simply not acceptable in Merseyside and we will not tolerate it under any circumstances.
Keep up to date with what's going on in your area by entering your postcode below
“I’d also encourage all parents and guardians of young people to know where they are, who they are with, what they are doing and making sure they are abiding by Covid rules.
“If you know anything about this incident, please come forward as your information could help assist us with enquiries.
“Whether you contact us directly or anonymously through the independent charity Crimestoppers, your information will be acted upon.”
Shortly after 8.30pm yesterday, a loud bang and a massive flash across the sky was seen for miles around Knowsley.
People as far as Prescot, Rainhill, and St Helens said their homes shook after witnessing a bright light that lasted a split second.
Police said they were called around 8.40pm to reports of a loud explosion heard across the Knowsley area.
Emergency services attended Tarbock Woods, off Coney Lane, Huyton where a bonfire had been discovered.
Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service sent an fire engine to the scene where crews extinguished the fire using a hose reel jet. No injuries have been reported.
Police said they believe the loud bang heard could have been as a result of accelerants being thrown onto the fire.
Chief Inspector Phil Mullally said: “Starting fires deliberately and reckless behaviour with flammable products in the manner we saw last night is utterly irresponsible, putting our communities at risk and placing an unnecessary strain on our already overstretched emergency services.
“Thankfully the fire service extinguished the fire before anyone was harmed but this reckless disregard for people and property is simply not acceptable in Merseyside and we will not tolerate it under any circumstances.
Anyone with any further information on this incident is asked to contact us by DM via our social media desk on Twitter @MerPolCC or Facebook ‘Merseyside Police Contact Centre ’ with reference 0891 of Tuesday 23 March.
You can also contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously, on 0800 555 111 or via their online form at: https://crimestoppers-uk.org/give-information/give-information.