Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
Sport
By Elias Clure

Warner and Bancroft look to NT for return to competitive cricket

In his first public appearance since the cricket scandal, Warner held a clinic for young girls in Darwin.

Banned cricketing duo David Warner and Cameron Bancroft will make their return to competitive cricket in Darwin in July.

The pair will take part in the month-long Darwin Strike League, which features both 50-over and T20 format games, and is designed to give emerging local players experience against interstate and international talent.

Bancroft will be available for the entire competition, while Warner will play in two One Day matches on July 21 and 22.

Negotiations began with the players after former Australian vice-captain Warner, who is not allowed to play for Australia or his domestic side of New South Wales for 12 months, visited the Top End in early May to run cricket clinics in Darwin and Arnhem Land.

"I'm really looking forward to playing in the Strike League in July. I heard so much about the competition while I was in Darwin earlier this month that I'm keen to be part of it," Warner said in a statement on Tuesday.

"We're delighted that Cameron and David will be joining us in Darwin for the Strike League, their presence and experience will be invaluable for our local players," NT Cricket CEO Joel Morrison said.

New South Wales grade rules allow Warner and former captain Steve Smith, also serving a 12-month ban, to play in the meantime.

It is believed Warner is also considering playing in the Global T20 Canada league, beginning June 28 and finishing July 16.

Bancroft, who is serving a nine-month-long suspension also expressed early on that he was eager to make his return to cricket in the Top End.

It is not yet clear how many matches the West Australian will play in the competition.

Smith will make his return to competitive cricket in Canada.

The trio were central to the ball-tampering scandal in South Africa, where Smith and Warner concocted a plan for Bancroft to "scuff up" the match ball with a piece of yellow sticky tape.

The fallout was arguably the most dramatic in Australian cricket history.

However, their bans have offered a unique opportunity for cricket administrators in the NT to bolster the Strike League, which is the one of the few semi-professional cricket competitions played during Australian winter, in the Top End's sunny dry season.

Warner made his mark in the T20 format and has scored six centuries across all competitions with an average of 35.

Bancroft has also been a consistent performer in the T20 format and averages 33.

Bancroft faced the prospect of moving interstate to play club cricket if the exemption was not granted, with the New South Wales Cricket Association saying it would welcome him.

UK County club Surrey also reportedly expressed interest in the suspended batsman's services.

Bancroft's previous county contract with Somerset was ripped up in the wake of the scandal, despite the ban not preventing him, or Smith and Warner, from playing overseas.

Warner and Smith both had their multi-million-dollar Indian Premier League contracts cancelled.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.