
More than 1000 people are expected to take part in a walk along the Newcastle coast on Tuesday in support of those affected by suicide and suicidal thoughts.
Every day in Australia, eight people take their lives.
Lifeline's Robert Sams said the Walk With Us event was looking to bring this number down, by bringing suicide into the light.
"It's about the community coming together, it's about saying that we support each other ... particularly when we are facing our darkest moments," he said.
"When people talk about suicide, it brings it out into the open and we know that there's a better chance that they will seek help."
The walk will depart from Dixon Park at 6am and head down to Merewether Surf Club, before then returning to Dixon Park Surf Club for a formal ceremony.
Mr Sams said that in the past, the event had been "sombre and reflective" but also incredibly supportive.
"Through the people that are talking and the people that are going to be sharing from the community we provide a message of hope," he said.
"You don't have to talk to anyone, but you may just come across someone experiencing something similar to yourself ... and that might just be enough to help you along.
"It's not a physically challenging walk and it's a completely free event.
"Come along, be with others. We welcome people from all parts of the community ... we're saying as a group that it's OK."
The event has been organised as part of World Suicide Prevention Day on September 10. This is the fifth year the walk has taken place in Newcastle.
Lifeline are encouraging participants to register their attendance on their website.
If you need help, contact:
- Lifeline 13 11 14 or lifeline.org.au
- Beyond Blue 1300 224 636 or beyondblue.org.au
- Suicide Callback Service 1300 659 467