Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
Business
Hazel Sheffield

Volkswagen emissions scandal: China launches probe

China has launched a probe into diesel emissions from Volkswagen cars.

The China probe follows similar investigations in Europe and the US after Volkswagen admitted it was using a device that gave a lower reading for toxic nitrogen oxides emissions when its diesel cars were in a test scenario.

China is the world’s largest car market. Most of the cars sold in China run on petrol, but analysts believe that the emissions scandal could have a knock-on effect on the Volkswagen brand.

The Genergal Administration of Quality, Supervision and Inspection (AQSIQ) in China said that it would recall 1,950 imported cars in China and that these would predominantly be Tiguan SUVs proven to carry the misleading emissions software.

Volkswagen has said that 11 million cars are affected worldwide. Some 1.2 million of these are said to be in the UK.

Paul Willis, the UK boss of Volkswagen, is due to stand before the Transport Select Committee on Monday. Last week the US boss, Michael Horn, faced a similar grilling from US Congress. The details of how Volkswagen cars will be recalled and repaired will come from Volkswagen’s headquarters in Germany, but these details have yet to be announced.

Additional reporting by Reuters

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.