Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Jamie Harris & Lottie Gibbons

Virgin Media internet down and if users can be compensated

Virgin Media broadband customers are still claiming they are still experiencing problems with their internet connection despite the company saying the issue has been resolved.

Users across the UK complained of intermittent service on Monday evening, with apparent connectivity dropouts every so often.

Though more people are at home during lockdown, relying on broadband services for home working and entertainment, Virgin Media said the issue was not a result of increased usage or a lack of capacity.

A spokesman said it had been fixed in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

He said: "We know how frustrating this was for customers and we sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused."

While some customers said their service was running as normal on Tuesday, others claimed they were still experiencing problems.

One user said on Twitter: "I still have an issue - no internet at all for any of our users in the house."

Another wrote: "Virgin Media is still playing up? Good thing I don't need to use the Internet extensively for work... OH WAIT."

Reports of connection problems on the downdetector website were also being posted, though the volume had decreased since Monday evening.

The cause of the intermittent outage was not clear.

Can you claim compensation for Virgin Media Outage?

The Automatic Compensation Scheme means broadband and landline customers will get money back from their provider when things go wrong, without having to ask for it.

But, with more people using the internet whilst in lockdown, Ofcom has updated its policy.

In a statement they said:"This is an unprecedented time for our country, and keeping communications going across the UK has never been more important.

"Broadband and landline services will play a vital role as we all adapt the way we live and communicate in the wake of the coronavirus.

"Given the unique circumstances presented by the coronavirus, Ofcom’s view is that it would be legitimate for providers not to pay automatic compensation just as if the civil emergencies exception in the Automatic Compensation Scheme applies.

"Where signatories do claim this exception applies, we expect them to clearly communicate the reasons why to their customers, and continue to act in their customers' best interests."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.