Victory served notice over Cavallo abuse
Melbourne Victory have been served with a show-cause notice by Football Australia following claims that Adelaide United midfielder Josh Cavallo was subjected to homophobic abuse by Victory supporters.
Cavallo spoke out on social media after he was taunted from the stands during last week's 1-1 A-League Men draw at AAMI Park in Melbourne.
The 22-year-old, who is the only out gay male player playing in an elite league, said the abuse was "not acceptable".
"Hate never will win," he said. "I will never apologise for living my truth and most recently who I am outside of football."
The abuse was widely condemned by both clubs, the Australian Professional Leagues and AAMI Park, with Victory vowing to ban supporters who made the remarks.
Victory have until Tuesday to respond to the show-cause notice.
Football Australia chief executive James Johnson said FA would consider the initial response by the club to the incident provided this week and any other measures it takes before making a determination.
He said FA would also continue to work with the APL and Victory to identify the "small contingent" of supporters who engaged in the abuse to ensure they are banned from attending football matches throughout Australia.
"I want to reiterate that this conduct is unwelcome in football," Johnson said.
"Everyone should be able to enjoy participating in our sport regardless of age, gender, sexual orientation, ability or disability, cultural or religious background.
"I want to applaud Josh for his courage in calling out this behaviour. I also welcome the strong responses from Melbourne Victory, Adelaide United, the Australian Professional Leagues, and the broader football community towards this incident.
"Football Australia is committed to ensuring we provide an inclusive environment for all involved, whether on or off the field."