Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading

Zero new local cases as Vic border eases

Victoria has gone 11 straight days without a new local coronavirus infection as residents stuck in Brisbane are now free to come home.

From just over 11,000 tests received in the 24 hours to Sunday, Victoria recorded no new locally acquired cases.

There were seven COVID-19 cases detected in hotel quarantine, bringing the total number of active infections in the state to 30.

The risk rating for Greater Brisbane was downgraded from "red" to "orange" on Saturday evening, allowing Victorians stuck there to cross the border with a permit.

The Victorian border was shut to anyone in Brisbane, Moreton Bay, the Redlands, Logan and Ipswich for more than a week after a hotel quarantine worker and her partner tested positive for the highly infectious UK strain of COVID-19.

But with no local transmission since those cases were identified, Victorian health authorities' anxiety has eased.

Returnees still need to apply for a travel permit, which they will receive automatically. They must also take a coronavirus test within three days of their arrival and self-quarantine until they receive a negative result.

Environment Minister Lily D'Ambrosio on Sunday said 20,571 applications had been made for permits under Victoria's "traffic light" system in the past 24 hours.

Victorians stranded in Sydney have been given hope they will be able to return home soon as well, with Premier Daniel Andrews flagging on Saturday that he was preparing to dramatically reduce the red zone in NSW.

An announcement will come in the next day or two, Mr Andrews said.

It comes as workers prepare to return to offices after initial plans were put on hold for a week because of the Black Rock cluster.

Private workplaces can return to 50 per cent capacity from Monday, while public service offices can return to 25 per cent capacity.

Likewise, mask rules will be eased to pre-Christmas levels.

That means they will only be mandatory in some settings, including supermarkets, large indoor retail areas, public transport, hospitals and airports.

Meanwhile, the state government is defending the decision to lock down 47 Australian Open players after three positive cases were confirmed among two chartered flights from Los Angeles and Abu Dhabi.

Players were originally given an exemption to leave their quarantine hotel to train for up to five hours a day, but the positive tests have forced them into hard quarantine.

Romania's Sorana Cirstea and France's Alize Cornet have both suggested they were previously told only those within the same section of the positive case would go into lockdown, not the entire flight.

But Ms D'Ambrosio is adamant Open arrivals were fully aware of the rules before stepping on the plane.

"All of that information was known and is known," she told reporters on Sunday.

"We are absolutely sticking to the safety requirements that our health experts are telling us need to be in place."

The players will be given fitness training equipment in their hotel rooms.

Two-time Open champion Victoria Azarenka, American Sloane Stephens and Japanese star Kei Nishikori were aboard the Los Angeles flight, while Svetlana Kuznetsova was among the players who came from Abu Dhabi.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.