Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
National

Victorian teen reported missing during camping trip found safe and well

The man's car was found abandoned and his parents said he had left a "cryptic" note. (ABC News: Christopher Le Page)

A 19-year-old man reported missing by his family has been found safe and well more than a week after he left his home in Melbourne's south-east.

The teen left his home in Lysterfield South last Thursday, telling his family he was going camping.

However, his family contacted police a day later after several attempts to reach him failed.

Police believed he had travelled to the Swan Hill region in the state's north-west.

His car was later found abandoned and his mother said he had left a "very cryptic" note for his family inside a copy of the book Into the Wild.

Into the Wild, which has also been adapted into a film, tells the story of American adventurer Christopher McCandless, who died in 1992 after attempting to live off the land in remote Alaska.

Victoria Police released a statement on Friday night saying the man had been found safe and well.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.