
All Victorian-based AFL clubs will go into a lockdown as the state deals with a fresh COVID-19 outbreak.
Essendon, Hawthorn and Carlton are preparing to leave Melbourne early ahead of matches interstate this weekend and plan to return to Victoria following their respective round 11 games.
The nine Melbourne-based clubs, as well as Geelong, will face new restrictions for at least the next seven days with players and staffers recommended to only leave for playing, training and essentials.
Acting Premier James Merlino confirmed on Wednesday that the AFL had been given permission on Tuesday night after meeting with government and health officials, but said the next 24 hours were critical in determining whether Victorians are to face more coronavirus restrictions.
The current outbreak has grown to 15 cases.
“That’s correct in terms of where we are right now,” Mr Merlino said. “So, AFL football [is] going ahead with crowds subject to masks and other changes, but there’s been great engagement between the league, between our stadia and our public health team.”
-with AAP