Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
Health

Victoria records zero new coronavirus cases as restrictions ease

Masks are still mandatory in some settings in Victoria, such as on public transport.(

ABC News: Barrie Pullen, File photo

)

Victoria has recorded zero new coronavirus cases, on the first day of eased restrictions in the state.

The Department of Health received 10,297 coronavirus test results yesterday.

There are now 15 active cases in the state, a decrease from 17 yesterday.

No new cases were recorded in the community or in hotel quarantine.

On Saturday, the State Government announced new QR Code rules for businesses, which will need to be adhered to by March 27.

The government said businesses would need to electronic record keeping systems that could be integrated with the state's contact tracing systems.

Businesses can already use the the government's QR code service, and the state has developed additional software which links private electronic record keeping tools to contact tracers.

Health Minister Martin Foley said measures would help "contact tracers stay ahead of this hyper-infectious virus".

Commercial passenger vehicles, such as taxis, hire cars and rideshare vehicles, will also be required to have QR systems that record passengers' first names and phone numbers.

Mask rules and caps on social gatherings were relaxed in Victoria overnight, as part of changes to COVID restrictions.

Victorians can now host up to 30 people in their home per day, and the limit on outdoor gatherings has increased to 100.

Masks are only required in certain settings, such as public transport, rideshare vehicles and taxis, indoor shopping centres, supermarkets and department stores.

They are also required when visiting a hospital or an aged care facility.

However, no date has been set for when international flights into Melbourne will be allowed to resume.

International arrivals were were put on hold about two weeks ago when the five-day "circuit breaker" lockdown was announced.

Yesterday, Victoria recorded two locally acquired coronavirus cases, who were both close contacts linked to the Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport outbreak.

Both cases had been quarantining in a hotel during their infectious period, the government said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.