Both Vice News and the Daily Telegraph are undergoing substantial changes to their news operations, including laying-off many members of senior staff.
On Tuesday, The Telegraph Media group axed a number of jobs among its senior journalists including staff on the features, culture, picture and foreign affairs desks, the Guardian reports.
A letter from chief executive of Telegraph Media Group, Murdoch MacLennan, seen by the Financial Times, reportedly said “conditions have continued to markedly deteriorate across the sector” over the past three months.
It added that in April, the overall print advertising market fell by a fifth, although the Telegraph had “managed a better performance than many”.
It remains unclear how many staff will be laid-off.
The Daily Telegraph, owned by the billionaire Barclay brothers, Sir David and Sir Frederick, is the UK's most profitable broadsheet. The company has so far declined to comment.
The move comes after a strategic review of the newspaper group by Deloitte.
Later on Tuesday, it emerged the UK's Vice News had allegedly axed its entire editorial team and two foreign correspondents.
Foreign correspondent Harriet Salem wrote on Twitter: “All of UK @vicenews editorial team, plus the only two foreign correspondents laid off just now (including me). Massive US layoffs too.”
In addition, Vice Media reportedly laid off 15 US staff, including Vice News digital producers, writers and editors in New York and Los Angeles, a source told Politico.
The move comes as Josh Tyrangiel, an American journalist who is the head of the brand’s upcoming HBO nightly news broadcast, was promoted to oversee news operations across the company, putting him in charge of US Vice News as well as Vice’s daily and weekly HBO programmes.