Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
Health
Liz Hobday

Vic eases travel restrictions with NSW

"We're extremely happy to see the last red zone in NSW be downgraded," Premier Daniel Andrews says. (AAP)

Victoria is easing its travel restrictions with NSW, in a move that should free up stretched police resources on Victoria's borders.

So-called "red zones" in NSW will be eliminated from 6pm AEDT on Friday, with the area of Cumberland to change to the only designated orange zone.

All other parts of NSW will be designated green, the lightest level of restrictions, which only requires travellers to watch for symptoms and get tested if they become symptomatic.

Premier Daniel Andrews said people travelling from the Cumberland area should still get tested.

"We're extremely happy to see the last red zone in NSW be downgraded," he said.

People who travel from an orange zone have to self-isolate on arrival in Victoria and get tested within 72 hours of arrival, remaining in isolation until they get a negative result.

Victoria has reached 23 days with no new local coronavirus cases, and 27 cases confined to hotel quarantine, including one new case on Friday.

Police Minister Lisa Neville said on Friday the changes will mean Victoria Police can start scaling back their duties on the NSW border.

Several hundred Victoria police have been on border duty, leading to debate about whether they are being spread too thinly.

Thursday's Bourke Street driver incident heightened those concerns.

But Ms Neville and Assistant Commissioner Luke Cornelius said police numbers in the Melbourne CBD had been unaffected, also noting the incident was sparked by a number plate check.

"I'm very happy that our standing footprint to cover the city is sufficient," Mr Cornelius said.

"But look ... the COVID emergency and the threats posed by COVID to public health and community safety is in fact our priority."

Ms Neville said more than 800 police were involved in hotel quarantine and that would increase to more than 1000.

Australian Open tennis players and support staff have begun leaving hotel quarantine in Melbourne. (AAP)

She said the state government was seeking more Australian Defence Force help with the quarantine program.

Also on Friday, Ms Neville was unapologetic about some Australian Open personnel having to wait more than 14 days to be freed from hotel quarantine.

Players and support staff started leaving quarantine on Thursday night, with the last expected out on by midday on Sunday.

But some are unhappy that their quarantine is lasting 15 days.

"We consider day one (to be) day zero, so in a sense it does end up being a bit more than 14 days," Ms Neville told 3AW radio.

"There have been very rare cases on day 14.

"They're known exactly when they're about to come out. I accept they'd love to get out, but we're not taking any chances on that and we've been very clear about it.

"I will be relaxed when we get past the last person leaving hotel quarantine from the Australian Open."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.