
Victoria's Acting Premier James Merlino has renewed calls for the federal government to activate JobKeeper-style support as Melbourne's lockdown drags on another week.
The Victorian government has thrown an extra $209 million into its support package to help businesses doing it tough through the latest shutdown.
When announcing the initial $250 million package on Sunday, Treasurer Tim Pallas unleashed on federal counterpart Josh Frydenberg for declining to chip in with financial support for workers.
Mr Merlino said Mr Pallas had again reached out to Mr Frydenberg on Wednesday morning to formally request the federal government reconsider its stance, and he would soon start lobbying the prime minister himself.
"I do hope that the Commonwealth will swiftly confirm that they will step up and provide that support," he told reporters on Wednesday.
"If they do not, I will be raising this directly at national cabinet on Friday."
Facing another week without an income, Melbourne workers were crying out for support, Mr Merlino said.
"The ball is in the federal government's court," he said.
"Victorian businesses, Victorian workers are demanding that they respond. That is what the treasurer is advocating for and what I am advocating for, and I am hopeful of a positive outcome."
Victorian Council of Social Service chief executive Emma King said the time for delay and debate was over.
"People are again missing shifts, losing their jobs and struggling to pay their bills," she said.
"The federal government must step up and provide emergency support to Victoria."
Chrissie Maus, general manager of Melbourne's Chapel Street Precinct, said no government grant would come close to covering the "monumental economic costs" of just seven days of lockdown.
"The social impact is even worse and one that keeps me awake at night," she said.
"Small businesses are again making heartbreaking decisions about whether to lay off staff or destroy inventory."
Prime Minister Scott Morrison earlier this week said the federal government had already provided $45 billion in direct support to Victoria.