Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading

Vic power outages could go past weekend

Almost 20,000 homes remain without power in Victoria after wild weather brought trees down on lines. (AAP)

Some Victorians might be waiting beyond this Sunday to have their power reconnected after last week's wild weather.

About 20,000 homes remained without power on Tuesday, according to Emergency Services Commissioner Andrew Crisp.

While most are expected to have power restored by the weekend, Mr Crisp cannot guarantee that the work will be done by Sunday.

"Our distribution businesses are working as hard as they can to get those properties back on as soon as they can," he said.

"Even though most of them should be on by the weekend, there's every chance some won't be because they might be at the actual end of the line and it will take more time."

Mr Crisp added while flood warnings remain in Gippsland, the weather there later this week might not be as bad as first forecast.

"The weather seems to have backed off a bit for the coming days and into the weekend might have 20-30ml locally south and west Gippsland," he said.

Mr Crisp warned "we are not through this", with ongoing concerns about potential flooding at the Yallourn coal mine.

He added there was a "real danger" of killer trees, through the Dandenongs area.

Two people lost their lives last week in the Victorian floodwaters.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.