Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
USA Today Sports Media Group
USA Today Sports Media Group
Sport
Jon Heath

Vic Fangio kept his word about being the first to challenge pass interference

After a blown call cost the Saints a chance to advance to the Super Bowl last season, NFL owners approved a rule change this offseason that will allow coaches to challenge pass interference calls (and non-calls) in 2019.

After a training camp practice last week, Denver coach Vic Fangio said he would be the first to take advantage of the new rule. Fangio kept his word during the Hall of Fame Game on Thursday evening, challenging a defensive pass interference call against the Falcons.

Fangio lost the challenge.

“I didn’t have a great look at it,” Fangio said after the game. “Obviously, I was at the other sideline, but they did say it stands, so it was pretty close. They didn’t say confirmed.

“I had made the statement that I was going to throw the first challenge flag for a [pass interference], and a couple of guys were challenging me to do it there, so I did it.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.